As an IT Generalist, known by some as the IT Jack-of-all-Trades, I’ve had my hands in a wide variety of projects and at all levels of an organization. Everything from web design and application development/engineering, to network design, architecture and administration, to IT planning and strategy. I’ve worked with everyone from contractors and vendors to interns and executive and C-Level managers.
- Hands-on IT Professional with 13+ years experience providing a range of technology solutions and progressive leadership.
- Proven organizational and task management skills, managing all operational day-to-day IT functions and administration.
- Strong work ethic.
- Cross-functional IT skills.
- Personable and enjoy working with others yet self-motivated and able to complete independent tasks.
- Proven to effectively work and interact with all levels of personnel from Executive Management to interns.
- Driven and dedicated to providing quality technical service and IT direction.
- Strong attention to detail and analytical problem solving skills, yet open and flexible enough to recognize unique opportunities and provide creative business solutions.
- Continually strive to gain and maintain working knowledge of current and emerging technologies and able to quickly adapt to changing conditions.
- Information Technology
- Software Development
- Project Management
- Web Design and Development
- Team Mentoring and Training
- Workflow and Process Management
- Network Monitoring, Support and Administration
- Troubleshooting and Help Desk Support
- Back-up, Recovery and Storage
- IT Strategy
- Vendor Relations
- Server Management and Administration
Development Languages and Frameworks
.NET, C#, PHP, ASP, ASP.Net, XML, HTML, CSS, jQuery
Windows XP, Windows Server 2000, 2003, Windows 7, Ubuntu Server LTS, Ubuntu Desktop, Mac OS X, Android
Mitel 3300 ICP with Teleworker and YA (Your Assistant) Services
Networking and Protocols
DHCP, DNS, TCP/IP, FTP, SSH, TFTP, SFTP, LAN/WAN, VLAN, POP3, IMAP, SMTP, VPN, TELNET, VoIP, SNMP
HP ProCurve Powered Switches, Mitel 3300 IP Phone System, Laptops – Workstations – Servers (Dell, HP), Firewalls, Mobile Devices
Software and Applications:
Microsoft Office Suite, GFI Mail Essentials, SharpDevelop, Microsoft Visual Studio, Sun/Oracle VirtualBox, Nagios Network Monitor, Google Business Applications, ArcServe BrightStore, VNC, Exchange Server, MySQL, SubVersion, Symantec Enterprise Security, Desktop Firewalls, McAfee Anti-Virus, ClamAV, Network Tools and Utilities (WireShark, Telnet, Tracert, Ping, ntstat, netstat, SysInternals ) SpiceWorks, Untangle, Open Office, OpenFiler, FreeNAS, Apache, BIND9, Photoshop, Windows IIS, Active Directory, OpenAudIT, CRM, Zentyal Small Business Server
- Planned, directed and managed one office space consolidation, and three office relocation / move projects. Coordinated space planners, building contractors, service providers, vendors and movers. Ensured that scheduling and installation of data circuits, voice service and IT services were completed and properly activated. Orchestrated hardware move and provided hands-on installation into new space, reactivating all internal systems and network services.
- Complete ground-up re-build of IT infrastructure: Cabling, New Desktops and Servers, New Switches with POE, new converged VoIP and Communications Platform, Network Segmentation and VLAN Priority supporting VoIP applications, layered security with traffic and email filtering, centrally managed virus and malware protection for desktops and servers.
- Engineered and developed internal network and desktop applications, utilities and tools to solve problems, simplify and efficiently complete routine tasks, support critical business needs and improve productivity and workflow process.
- Enabled and managed secure VPN access and remote support for home and out-of-state employees. Providing direct local access to internal business applications and internal phone extensions via VoIP with DID.
- Extended internal file storage and management to Google Apps for Business, providing greater collaboration within and across business teams and departments. Enabling support of document management, collaboration and file access for local, remote and mobile workers across multiple devices and locations.
2000 – 2002: Web Master / Developer
- Interfaced directly with clients and authors to design and build websites used to promote books or products.
- Managed hosting and domain registrations for the company and clients.
- Developed intranet applications and tools providing organized access to distributed network information, data, and files.
- Worked with Department Managers and IT Director/Project Manager to define workflow needs. Developed a workflow process using Exchange Public and Team Folders to manage client projects and coordination.
2002 – 2006: Director of IT
- Completed website code and platform migrations from ASP to ASP.Net with custom CMS.
- Created and developed in-house desktop and browser-based applications, utilities and tools using C#, WinForms, ASP.NET, to simplify or efficiently complete routine tasks and support critical business needs improving productivity and workflow process.
- Successfully managed and serviced all network hardware, software and services including routers and POE switches, firewall and security appliances, content filtering, Remote Access Services, Windows Servers with Exchange and Active Directory, Linux Servers and Windows Desktops.
- Developed successful relationships and worked closely with IT vendors to evaluate and qualify service needs, negotiate licensing and contract terms
- Managed and supported Primary Domain Controller, Active Directory, Organizational Units and Group Policy.
- Managed and supported network services including DNS, DHCP and IP Address Pools.
- Managed data storage, backup and recovery.
- Provided high quality network and help desk support: tracking, identifying, and resolving IT related issues and user queries.
- Planned, executed and managed end-to-end infrastructure build-out and upgrades providing support for VoIP, VLANs, redundant WAN connections with auto-failover, and consolidating hardware and services improving IT management, network performance and productivity.
- Replaced aging internal communications and telephony infrastructure using a converged IP Voice solution and Telephony Services including desktop integration and presence management.
- Effectively monitored and countered network threats using Web and Email filtering gateway solutions and firewalls coupled with server and desktop security solutions.
- Provided and supported VPN and VoIP Services enabling secure connectivity to internal systems and resources with full phone system integration and DID support for remote and out-of-state home office employees.
2006 – 2010: CIO
- Developed IT policies and acceptable use guidelines to govern the appropriate use of technology and business resources.
- Worked directly with owner and C level management (COO, CFO) to help shape and define business strategy and planning in areas of Finance, Services, Operations, Administration and Client Solutions.
- Managed company’s internet and social media accounts, content development, and SEO, assigning tasks and deadlines to content contributors.
- Qualified and executed selected open source solutions and virtualization to control or reduce IT and Licensing costs
- Provided ongoing analysis of IT systems, strategies, operations and processes, recommending improvements, enhancements or new approaches.
2010 – Present: Vice President / CIO
- Provided a supporting role in Finance and AP
- Actively developing internet and lead generation strategies encapsulating web design/development, SEO, and Content development, with CRM and Lead Generation Process and Automation
- Currently aligning web strategies and site development as business requirements have changed, integrating lead generation, social media and 3rd party APIs where appropriate to extend the company’s web presence and engagement.
Lynn Public Schools
1995 – 1999: Substitute Teacher
1999 – 2000: Full Time Interim Teacher at Lynn Classical High School
- Planned daily lessons and activities for classroom learning
- Student evaluations and provided quarterly reporting
- MCAS Math
- Introduction to Consumer and Business Law
- Office Computing and Software