Hands-on IT Professional with more than 13 years of loyal, dedicated service in cumulative and progressive roles at Newman Communications, spanning web and software development and design, System and Network Administration, Director of IT and VP, CIO.
As a web and software developer, my role was focused on managing and directing development projects for both internal and external clients delivering web sites, desktop and web based applications. Soon, in addition to managing a role as developer, I was cast in the added role of System and Network Administrator. Added responsibilities in this role included maintenance and management of the IT infrastructure, including Servers, Switches, Firewalls, Desktops, Security, Telecom Equipment. I was also responsible for monitoring uptime and critical systems availability, providing pro-active support and ensuring that developing issues were identified and resolved before becoming critical or interfering with daily operations. Later, as IT Director, my responsibilities accounted for all day-to-day IT operations and technical needs of the organization. This included evaluation, recommendation and purchasing of new IT equipment. Finally, as VP, CIO, I played a direct role in setting the direction, technical need and IT strategy for the organization as part of the executive management team, while continuing to remain very hands-on in additional roles across all of the company’s IT areas.
Highlights and Accomplishments:
- Complete ground-up re-build of IT infrastructure: Cabling, New Desktops and Servers, New Switches with POE, new VoIP and Communications Platform, Network Segmentation and VLAN Priority supporting VoIP applications, layered security with traffic and email filtering, centrally managed virus and malware protection for desktops and servers.
- Planned, directed and managed one office space consolidation, and three office relocation / move projects. Coordinated space planners, building contractors, service providers, vendors and movers. Ensured that scheduling and installation of data circuits and voice service were completed and properly activated. Orchestrated hardware move and installation into new space, reactivating all internal systems and network services.
- VPN access and remote support for home and out-of-state employees. Providing direct local access to internal business applications and internal phone extensions via VoIP with DID.
- Developed a software solution to overcome and solve a critical business problem. Provided CAN-SPAM Compliant commercial and bulk email service from the desktop, outperforming the “old” process by as much as 1500% while fulfilling commercial email compliance.
- Extended internal file storage and management to Google Business Apps, providing greater collaboration within and across business teams and departments.
- Received several employee recognition awards for performance and dedication above and beyond expectations.
Prior to working at Newman Communication, I spent five years working in the Lynn Public School System. Four of the five years I served as a substitute teacher covering grades 6-12. During my final year I served as a full time interim teacher at Lynn Classical High School teaching Office Computing and Software, Introduction to Consumer Law and MCAS Math.
With a diverse background and range of creative, logical and hands-on IT and leadership skills, I am well suited for a variety of opportunities. Experience includes desktop, server and network technologies, web development technologies, business process analysis and solutions, social media and online identity development, open source solutions, and more with a recent interest and exploration of mobile applications and development for Android and iOS devices using Phonegap, Sencha Touch and Titanium development platforms.
Recent projects include
- Defining Content Development, Social Media and Web strategies utilizing CRM integration with Lead Generation and Sales Process Management.
- Extending internal file systems and management to Google Business Apps.
Community and Volunteer Work
I volunteer my time and skill as the New Media and Internet Specialist for the non-profit Alumni and Friends of Lynn Classical High School. In addition to enabling lost connections among the alumni, we have had some good success in building our online community and rallying support for the Organization’s Scholarship Program.
An artist with a flare for illustration, painting and small sculptures. I attended Montserrat College of Art and studied Illustration and Graphic Design. Somewhere along the way, it led me into technology where I settled into a happy profession with some success.